Smoker's Inferno: A Quitter's Journal

Follow me on a self-centred journey of self-discovery and self-loathing.

Monday, May 16, 2005

Week 2 in review

My second week was an utter loss, dear readers. But as promised, here is a breakdown of my efforts, or lack thereof.

Day 6
I had 14 smokes today, a jump from the previous day's six. But the increase in nicotine did ease the withdrawal-induced pains -- ugly thudding things --in my shoulders and calves.

Day 7
My birthday. Two packs easy, as with much confusion and drunkenness, I puffed away the hours with a table full of smokers and a guy with a pipe, which might count as a smoker to some but not to me. I'm a purist.

Day 8
A mere three today, not unsurprising considering the previous evening's entertainments. Instead of smoking, I read my thesaurus. Today the thought of smoking was disgusting, sickening, nauseating, repellent, revolting, repugnant, unappetizing, loathsome, abhorrent, odious, vulgar, gross and vile. Still, I had three. I wonder if cigarettes might be addictive?

Day 9
Fourteen smokes. I am a worthless worm.

Day 10
Again the total rises. I had19 cigarettes today and am beginning to feel helpless against my own addiction. I stayed home this evening, a rarity of almost biblical proportions for a Friday night. And what did I do on this first Friday night at home since my 35th birthday? Not much really, though I did catch myself watching one of those awful reality shows: Fear Factor. But not just any old Fear Factor my friends. It was Couples Fear Factor. Good God save me.

Day 11
The first house party/barbecue of the season happens at my place. With windows open, fans blowing and the 9-volt removed from my smoke detector, approximately 20 people invade the kitchen and, for the most part, stay there. The room was a sweltering, cloudy mess, more closely resembling downtown Los Angeles on a humid summer's day than a brightly painted kitchen in Toronto. The food was delicious but I feel that, compared to my own protesting lungs, the steaks and porkloin got off easy.

Day 12
I only had five smokes today. But again, as is the case on my best days, my reluctance to smoke is based more on the sickening feeling in my gut, brought about by my decadence and overindulgence the night before, than it is by any attempt at resistance by me. Beginning tomorrow, now that the most insane part of May is over, I must begin to put forth a far more serious and concentrated effort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home